We are a recently refurbished free-house about a mile from the town centre.
There are 8 hand pumps which provide a choice between old favourites and micro breweries and one real draught cider.
The kitchen has been refurbished and meals are available at lunch time and evenings-cooked to order with all day service at weekends. The darts and pool teams are flourishing. The outside gardens have been re-landscaped with the addition of a Boules court- probably the only one in Cheshire! there is also a child-free patio next to the lounge.
Located by bridge 75 on the Macclesfield canal with direct access from the tow path and is across the road from Congleton Railway station.
The Queens Head
Interesting facts:- The Queen’s Head refers to the monarch but which monarch? Since the first recorded licensee was 1851, it must have been named to commemorate the ‘late Queen Victoria’s reign.
The 1909 Ordnance Survey map (above) shows the location of the public house and it’s named on the map.
The photographs as it is today should be compared with this splendid old photograph of the pub, which was originally a postcard and the posting date was dated 1907.
The postcard is from the lady standing in the doorway written to a friend. She signs the card ‘B.B’, almost certainly Blanch Baker, daughter of the licensee Herbert Baker who took over from Martha Worth.
The Worth family however left under a cloud; in 1906 they refused to vacate the public house despite a temporary licensee being appointed. When he came to take possession of the premises, doors and windows were locked and the passageway made impassable”. It is not certain as to why this dispute occurred.
The Most interesting features about the old pub however, are that in 1907 it was un-rendered brick, and the living extension seen to the left of the photograph (below) was not part of the original pub.
- In 1910, William Clarke the licensee used to advertise the accommodation specifically for cyclists.
- In 1924, the pub was owned by Lonsdale& Adsheads.
- In 1988 the pub was refurbished at a cost of £10,000.
As with many of the pubs in Congleton, the Queen’s Head is reputed to have its own ghost that has appeared before customers in the bar. On one occasion a customer sensed something and turned around to see a black figure standing behind him. This apparently happened at 10:00am and not a drop of drink had passed his lips! The ghost has been named Emmie.
On April 17th-21st 2006, BBC Radio 4 put on a series of five programmes from Queen’s Head public houses across the country to commemorate the Queen’s 80th Birthday. The programme was entitled ‘Inside the Queens Head’. Each 15 minute programme was designed to capture the way of life in a local pub in five different towns across the country in this year of her reign. This pub was chosen as one of the five and a 15 minute programme was recorded and broadcasted on Wed April 19th 2006.
Excerpt from Lindon Murgatroyd’s ‘A Pub Crawl Through Time’.
Back to Home Page